August 2017 Walking Update ~ Reverse Walker

The consequence of MS is that messages aren’t getting from my brain to my lower limbs. I’ve always heard that we only use 10% of our brain, so that leaves 90% to develop new pathways! Back in 2012 I wrote a post explaining creating new paths in our brains:

Moving off the path.

I wrote that we can easily understand the nerve pathways in our brain with the analogy of a path in the woods. As we hike to a destination on the same path it gets well worn and recognizable. The more we chose to travel that path, the more effortless and comfortable it becomes. If a storm hits and knocks a tree across the path, we’ll need to venture off the path to get around the obstacle. As we continue down the new path regularly, over time it will become as smooth and comfortable as the original path.  With active Multiple Sclerosis we may regularly need to create new pathways in our brain!

Kenna Bushey, my hair stylist, saw an ad for a reverse walker, a therapeutic walker that would aid me in developing new pathways!

It’s not going to happen over night.

I have spent so many years pushing down on my walker handles to lift up my legs while walking with my walker. Looking back at my past walking updates, I see I really was walking on my tiptoes, training my brain to send the signals that encourage needing a walker! It’s amazing what we’ll do to move quickly!

Now I’ll commit to walk around my house watching a movie as my entertainment. I set my timer when I begin to walk and it’s amazing that I’m only able walk for about 5 minutes before my brain is fatigued and I have to sit down.

It will be fun to see how long it takes to develop new pathways and walk without the walker!

Linda Grace Cox

 

Linda

About our Co-Founder: With a bachelors in Social Work, Linda is 53 years old, happily married with eight children and 17 grandchildren. Diagnosed with MS in 1995 and now having accepted and truly embraced her new reality, Linda has created MSrelief.com. She is dedicated to proving that joy can be chosen while living with Multiple Sclerosis. Linda specializes in helping others, especially those with MS attain the lifestyle, independence and happiness amid living with MS.

Comments are closed